Maple Corner Farm History
John Ripley founded Maple Corner Farm in Granville in 1812. He moved from Hartford, Connecticut and settled on the Blandford homestead in 1812 and started farming. His son John B. Ripley settled the Granville homestead in 1835. This property is comprised of several parcels which have been added over the years.
In the early days, the Ripley family raised Red Devon cattle and trained them as teams of oxen. For many years quality Hereford cattle were raised and shown at fairs. Kenneth L. Ripley showed the first grand champion baby beef at the Eastern States Exposition in 1927. Beef and dairy cattle were raised until 1974 as the main farm enterprise. Maple sugaring started in 1840 and continues today with production increasing over the years to their current 4000 tap operation with a maple museum and pancake restaurant. Hay production, blueberries, and cross-country skiing round out the present-day activities.
Maple Corner Farm has passed through eight generations of the Ripley family including John Ripley (1812-1835), John B. Ripley (1835-1840), John D. Ripley (1840-1882), Henry M. Ripley (1882-1931), H. Leon Ripley (1931-1940). Kenneth Ripley (1940-1950), Kenneth L. and Helen S. Ripley (1950-1966), Helen S. Ripley and Leon K. Ripley(1966-1972), Leon K Ripley (1972-1976), Leon K. Ripley and Joyce M. Ripley and sons (1982 to present).